Hands

Hands

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Sweet Baby Oh!




So sweet to get a call from a dad I have served before. "We think it is labor" than an hour of sleep later, "she thinks it is closer to time". I arrive and there are smiles and laughter. The mom and dad are working so well together and just enjoying their sweet time carved into the night when they would normally be resting. I set stuff up, get them what they need, listen to a baby and let them be so they have the space to do their work. I come up stairs throughout the night / morning to listen to baby, to see if there are any needs I can attend to and to praise them for their hard work. Each time she is working a little harder, less talkative, more intuned to her work. Once when I am up the momma says "soon, I think it is soon". I smile because I am thinking the same thing, watching the changes as she moves her body, listening to the changes in her discomfort. 

The transition this lovely family has made since the first time they sat on my couches has been boundless. They are growing in the Lord, in each other and as a family. It is truly sweet to be part of. 

There are kind words and tender looks between mom and dad to the end. Momma breathes out some of that intense energy as the burning begins trying to calm that burn so that she can continue to move her little one down and out. Baby is partially out into dad and I's hands little cord around the neck a lotta love in the room. 

She slips into this place from the womb to her daddy's arms to her mommas breast. Amazing and bold yet gentle slipping all at the same time. I am praising God for this lovely little one, lovely birth and amazing family. Thankful that they would share this with me again. 

Later as I am preparing to leave she looks over at her honey and says, "I am so glad we birth our babies at home". I smile, a little choked up and say "I am glad too." Glad that I birthed at home and for all the joys it has brought me, glad that they birthed at home and thankful to know them to witness their beautiful evolution into the family that they are.

No comments:

Post a Comment